Sunday, August 13, 2006


"oh, but I thought you were from Europe!"

There was definitely a sense of disappointment in his voice when I broke the news that I lived in Argentina. I actually pulled off a convincing accent and got this Peruvian guy to think I was from Argentina. Hey I didn't lie...I did actually live in Argentina (I just happened not to mention the length of time). Yup, from Cordoba, capital. Of course I look European, I told him. My ancestors are from Germany like a lot of Argentine immigrants (did I mention this guy was really disappointed that I wasn't from somewhere more exotic like England or Sweden?)

"and your friends that are here with you, they are European, right?"

¡Si! I was enjoying a night out in the discotecas/boliches with my current housemates and their friends: 3 Spaniards, 1 Israeli, 1 German, 1 Canadian, 2 Peruvians, 1 Fin, and me the token American...I mean Argentine :)

"so how do you all communicate?"

We all speak Spanish! Well, except the Israeli...he seems to not even want to try, but it's okay because that way I can keep up with my English.

I'm not a fan of being picked up in clubs, so if it's going to happen while I'm abroad I might as well have a little fun, right? :)

No comments: