Saturday, September 02, 2006

baila...let me see you dance baby.

Last night Jerson, my house bro, invited me to join him in a going-away party for a Spanish friend who had been interning in tourism projects here in Puno. The party was fun and I met a lot of people! When you enter a party you greet everyone...once it started getting a bit busier it became a sort of receiving line. Guys greet each other with a handshake, girls greet each other with a "besito" kiss on the cheek, and guys greet girls with a "besito" as well. Initially, everyone was very subdued. Jerson joked that parties often start this way...he called it the "velatorio" period of the party becaues it's like being at a wake. Finally, people started eating the "piqueos" or snacks that were cooked by the Spanish hostess (I guess they can officially be called tapas), and drinking either rum with coke or pisco with sprite. Salsa and reggaeton music were played and people danced a bit off and on.

After a couple of hours, Jerson and his friends were getting a bit restless and wanted to go to the club to dance. Now, those of you who know me understand that I am not a big fan of clubs. I don't like tight spaces, being approached by strangers to dance, etc. So I asked to be dropped off at home as the group went to the club. They agreed, but were upset that I didn't want to dance. As we hailed a cab, they kept trying to convince me to go.

Turning up the block to our house, the following conversation insued (I have done you the pleasure of translating it to English):

Jerson: Come on Laura...we'll only stay for an hour! It'll be fun...just an hour I promise
Kike, Ursula: Yeah, yeah...come on Laura! We'll only stay for a bit
Me: er.........
Jerson: Here comes the house! 5...4....3...2....1! Too late! You're coming! Driver, to the club!
Kike, Ursula: Woohoo!!
Me: Alright, alright...but just an hour, right?
Everyone: Yes, yes...just for a little bit...

Three and half hours later, we were still having a blast! The club was so nice for a couple of reasons. First of all, it wasn't overwhelmingly packed. There was a lot of space to dance, sit, or just stand around and chat. We didn't spend much time doing the latter two options. It was a great mix of everything...salsa, tecno, reggaeton, cumbia, traditional andean music, and even Jon Bon Jovi! Another nice aspect was that we danced among ourselves and after a while some other people from the house party came and joined us. There was no need for me to fake being Argentine.

At one point, though, some friends of Jerson asked if I was his friend from Lima. "Yeah," he responded and he gave an address of a rich friend who lives in Lima. Hahaha...so now here people think I'm a wealth LimeƱan! I was told my salsa dancing skills weren't too shabby. This helped me pull off being Latina. I even taught my friends to dance cuarteto! I guess at this point I must thank my coworkers at El Lago del Bosque for our dance activites...and wonderful moments shared in Jammers :)

Finally, at 4:30, Jerson and I got home and CRASHED! Supposedly we're going out tonight again...I think I should head home for a siesta!!

No comments: