Friday, December 01, 2006

And so begins the process....

Below is a map of the department of Puno. Most tourists are only presented with the province of Puno. It is in this region where the city of Puno is located as well as the island communities of Amantani, Taquile and the floating islands of the Uros. Outside of this area, in the provinces of Moho, Huancane, Collao, Chucuito, and Yunguyo, the majority of the population is Aymara. In the rest of the provinces, the majority of are Quechua. So things are set! I officially have communities picked out for my research over the months of January and March. Today I met with the first group of leadership from the peasant communities within the province of Chucuito. The Institute on Rural Education has graciously given me the opportunity today to participate in a workshop for the authorities of the district of Kelluyo. I was able to present my project and get initial feedback from them regarding the conditions of health, education, and development. There have been a lot of frustration in the district because of the failure of the mayor to meet the needs of the community because of a major lack of transparency and accountability. Over the past 4 years the district has gone through 4 mayors! Luckily, the situation never became violent, but came close. There was a major sense of desperation in the leaders for access to information and knowledge about their rights in relationship to the elected power. Hopefully I will be able to help them understand what their rights and responsibilities are in relation to those of the local elected leadership.

So, during the month of January, I will live on the farm of the institute, also known as Fondo Palermo. It is located about a mile and a half away from the provincial capital of Juli in the province of Chucuito. They've got their own cows that produce all the cheese and milk needed for those who live on site. Lunch is served every day...and I will be assured a hearty helping of potatoes and soup every day.

The district of Kelluyo is farther away (about 2 hours) and I will travel there during the month with the help of the institute. As part of my research, I have promised anonymity to the participants and their communities. Therefore, I am unable to share with my blog readers the name of the communities where I will be working.

Next week, I am headed up to Moho, north of Lake Titicaca to meet leadership in 3 other communities. This region is a bit more isolated, but has a greater level of contraband shipment coming in from the Bolivian border.

Of the 6 communities I will visit, 3 are considered in conditions of extreme poverty whereas the others are considered impoverished. I still have to see what factors are presented for this level of poverty.

No comments: