Monday, November 20, 2006

Lima...take two and tasting much better

I am back in Lima! This time, I am here for a week event hosted by the Fulbright Commission. I will have to admit, I was not looking forward to coming to the coast. Last time I was here, I definitely had a foul taste in my mouth for the city. The past 24 hours, though, have been marvelous! The Fulbright has put me up in an extremely comfortable hostal in the calm district of Barranco. Having a nice room with an exceptionally chill atmosphere definitely makes a big difference.

Since I have arrived to sea-level (after 3 months up at 13,000ft) I feel like I could run a marathon. Its seriously an amazing feeling to take huge, deep breathes...and enjoy the smell of the ocean at the same time. Oh, that's the other thing! My current spot is right next to the coast and I have already enjoyed two long walks to Miraflores, looking off into the Pacific. Seeing the sun, and enjoying 70 degree weather makes quite a difference. My only complaint was that once I got to Miraflores, the Starbucks was having problems with their water filtration and I couldn't buy a drink. I know, I know...but come on! You think I can go for an entire year without a tall americano!??!!?

This morning I met with the top advisor of the National Council on Decentralization. Because the local elections just finished yesterday, he was a tad preoccupied and apologized for having to cancel our meeting. Granted, he still met with me for an hour and invited me to return later this week for a more formal interview. He's so great...definitely an old, liberal sociology professor stuck in the body of a political advisor.

I think the main activity this week will be hanging out in the Catholic University library. Of course, I will take a quick break on Friday to have turkey and gravy with the other Fulbrights and (I think) the US Ambassador.

OH, and I have to share the exciting news!!!!! I just found out from another Fulbrighter that we are being flown to Cartagena, Colombia in April for a conference with the Andean nation Fulbrights! How cool is that?!!?!?

No comments: