Monday, October 02, 2006

"Random" Urban Development

Okay, I must comment on the peculiar approach to urban development that occurs here in Puno. I don't really know how construction planning is implemented and/or controlled, so to be culturally sensitive, I will not jump to conclusions and call it "poor" ...we'll just say it is, well, "random" urban development.

The city of Puno is relatively small and quite easy to manuever by foot. Still, that doesn't mean that you can let down your guard ONE BIT. Very, very important note...pedestrians do not have the right of way. No way, no how. I think I've mentioned this three or four times to my parents, and I will repeat again and again: cars do not stop for you. Even if you are crossing the street and a taxi is going to take a left hand turn behind you as you are crossing the street...he has the right of way. Luckily there aren't too many cars in Puno (and it isn't the insanity that Lima's traffick presents). Still, with high quantity of taxis, tricycles, and motobikes it is important to look both ways about seven times before crossing the street.

Another unique feature of PuneƱan streets are the sidewalks. Walking down the road reminds me of old school atari games. Remember the little dude with the cowboy hat who climbed latters, jumped over rolling barrels, and fell through the holes? Yeah...it's kind of like that minus the barrels. It is very important to be completely aware of where you are taking your next step. Sometimes a house has been built all the way out to the curb of the road and you have to walk in the street. Other times, there is a hole in the sidewalk or a pole or two or dog poo (lots and lots of dog poo). If a group of people are walking towards you, it is the best bet for the person walking against the traffick to challenge the oncoming tricycle.

Today, I could not help but laugh as I walked home. It was a bit colder than I expected and I planned on going home to snuggle in bed and practice my Aymara. As I rounded the corner to my street, I found that the entire road was blocked. In front of my house were roughly 50 students practicing a traditional dance...in the middle of the street! I am talking these guys were LITERALLY blocking the entire road. The leader had a whistle in his mouth (reminded me of the Music Man) and the troop behind him followed diligently left-two-three, spin, right-two-three. A boom box BLARED the music on the street and the sidewalks were lined with about 100 interested spectators. I guess I am going to have to find a quite restaurant to study in for the night. There really is no where else to practice...no space besides a street I guess! Interesting urban planning, huh?

No comments: